ArchivosChile is a journalistic research project of the Center for Investigation and Information (Centro de Investigación e Información–CIINFO) based on the systematic search for public information using the Transparency Law. Its journalistic and documentary results are published in national media or on the site ArchivosChile.com and are publicly accessible in the form of archives and collections.
CIINFO is a non-profit NGO certified by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to receive tax-exempt funding from donors. CIINFO created ArchivosChile in 2010 in partnership with the Institute of Communication and Image of the University of Chile (ICEI) through its Investigative Journalism Unit.
ArchivosChile has created a digital documentation center with publicly accessible documents and generated topical and public interest research. The objective of the first stage of the project has been the collection of government documents from the dictatorship period. Until June 2010, most of the project’s works, documents and articles were published through an agreement with the newspaper La Nación.
The project draws on the experience and model of the National Security Archive (NSA) in Washington, D.C., which has played an important role in declassifying countless documents about Chile from the U.S. government.
ArchivosChile, in addition to generating documentation through formal requests to the State, also collects State documents donated by researchers, historians, journalists and individuals, who have obtained them from various sources.
Funding for CIINFO has come from the Ford Foundation, the Open Society Institute and the Institute for International Education, as well as donations from individuals who have supported independent, quality journalism.
THE ARCHIVOSCHILE JOURNALISM TEAM:
- John Dinges, Director. Godfrey Lowell Cabot Professor of Journalism, Columbia University; executive director of CIINFO in Washington, D.C. Email: director(at) archivoschile.com
- Pascale Bonnefoy, investigator and coordinator of ArchivosChile
- Roberto Manríquez, assistant investigator
COLLABORATORS ON PREVIOUS PROJECTS:
- Jorge Escalante, investigator (2009-2010); journalist Diario La Nación (Secret Laws project)
- María José Vilches, investigator and coordinator of Transparency Law requests (2009-2010)
- Cecilia Vargas, journalistic investigation assistant (2009-2010)
ICEI COORDINATING COMMITTEE:
- María Olivia Monckeberg, director of the Institute of Communication and Image (Instituto de la Comunicación e Imagen–ICEI)
- Ximena Poó, director of the School of Journalism of the University of Chile
- Gustavo González, ICEI
- Claudia Lagos, ICEI
Please direct inquiries to:
- Email: director (at) archivoschile.com
- Teléfono: (56-2) 978-7958
Av. Ignacio Carrera Pinto 1015, Ñuñoa